Friday 1 August 2014

Arrived in Köln

 I guess the most adventurous part of any adventure is the adventure of getting from point a to point B, especially when point B is really just a stop off area for point C, which is a staging area for point D.  After delaying me for a day, the airlines, and I do refer to them collectively as I cannot tell whether I am flying with United or Lufthansa, have left my luggage in Houston Texas.  I'm assured I will receive it but in the meantime was offered the opportunity to waste my first afternoon in Europe searching desperately for any signs of socks to buy.  I was harder than you might think considering that Köln boasts the busiest shopping street in Europe and my hotel was situated right next to it.  Fear no, socks can only hide in the crows so long before they are discovered, and I found them just in time to succumb to a righteous bout of jet-lag.  Consequentially, I'm awake at 4:40am local time waiting for the only breakfast place listed in Alstat-Süd on Tripadvisor to open.

Proof of arrival in Köln
As many people who know me, when I am actually traveling I'm unlikely to remember a great deal about the experience, outside of important facts such as, "my luggage is in Texas", given the rather generous amount of anti-anxiety pills I need to take following a precarious incident in Kabul.  Equally I'm unlikely to do anything useful and touristy in such a state, but I have hazy recollection around capturing the blurry image of a cathedral just outside the main train station upon my arrival in Köln, both in order to capture the geo-code for my picture collection, and as proof of my arrival.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry about your luggage! But then, again, it must be some experience looking for socks in a foreign country. Another experience suggestion: prostitution is legal in Germany. Maybe you should do some hands-on cultural research. I'd love to hear your thoughts. During wars, brothels must have been places of heaven for some military extra-curriculum dalliances. "Make war and then make love!" In a way, wars have been one of the major vehicles of cross-cultural cross-breeding.

    ReplyDelete